9.22.2008

The Fucking PTA

So... here's a rant that I posted on a message board and have decided to paste for all to share...

Are any of you guys in the PTA? Do any of you with little kids think that you'll want to be? I used to think I could really mix things upin the PTA. HA! The PTA, is like a sorority at our school and somehow we are lost as to when rush is and what exactly we have to do to pledge. I'm starting to hate the fucking PTA.


I just noticed that we missed the first PTA meeting of the year while I was out of commission last week. Last year we had a hard time getting into the 'groove' with the PTA and I thought it was because we started the year late and never went to the first meeting. It's weird; the parents who are the most judgmental are the ones who you expect to be the least so. All of the `yuppies' who work their high powered jobs, have adopted their kids from assorted Asian countries and have now placed them in the school's Chinese immersion program are nice and accepting of our four mom status (or faking that they are, but whatever). For some reason, I would expect THEM to lookdown on us, how some of us dress or how we parent, but they're pretty cool in general. I mean, if I'm going to `judge a group of people instead of individuals' then this group is nice.


The eight or so moms who are the head of the PTA, and hold every office year after year are not. (They look tired and worn out with butt-loads of kids and chic-jeans. I am being a bitch I realize, but I am fed up with being shut out by the PTA.) When school started this year, they actually ignored me in the halls, seriously… are you twelve? Is this really because we have four moms? Is it something ELSE? It's Portland for Chrissakes, get used to it. Perhaps they're afraid that en-mass we could take over half of their elected positions!! ;0p I really think they fucking hate us… all we wantto do is be on the playground committee and plant some veggie gardens for our kids. We don't want to corrupt you OR take off anyone's sexy-jeans. I do NOT want to pledge the sorority, those jeans make my ass look huge and I do not need help with that. I just want a BOOTH at the harvest party.


Technically, we ARE in the PTA. We paid our 10.00 each and got the lame bumper stickers that some of us put on our cars, some of us cut up and THEN put on our cars, and some of us threw away. Which makes it suck even more that we never get any real jobs or projects unless we beg. We hope this year, since we now have a child who isn't in the "Oh you must be a bad parent room" (shhh we still have one of THOSE kids too) this will change, but who knows. I guess I just wanted to hear if any of you have run into this, if it's unique to our school… and if not, how you handled it.