6.30.2008

Brooke, Abby and Teal came to play...

Yesterday we thought we were going up to Tacoma to see Ruby's birth mother Brooke and her little sister Abby. But then we started having a hard time getting ahold of Brook and didn't hear from her at all on Friday or Saturday so I wasn't sure what was going on. Apparently, what was going on was that Brooke decided to come down to Vancouver to see her mom and try to get her head cleared a bit. Her toilet was clogged for three days and she was running to the neighbors to use their bathroom and then someone broke out her window, and her landlord couldn't come until Friday evening to fix it all. She had wanted to come down here when I talked to her last weekend anyway, so this got her a free pass from her caseworker and thus... Brooke was in town.

(Sometimes, I know that there is SO MUCH background information that I am leaving out when I write... this likely is totally confusing unless you are me or a long-time friend. I try to fill in the blanks a bit, but then again... I'm not always sure of what I'm missing. I had a blogg back when Megan died... sometimes I think I would give anything to still have that going so I could look back at it. Then again, do I WANT to know every tiny detail of that grieving period? I think one of the greatest blessing of time is that the edges of your memory get frayed a bit. You never forget that gut wrenching grief, don't get me wrong. But if I remembered exactly every second of that night at the hospital and watching her die... or those days just after and all they encompassed... I'm not sure that I would be doing much more NOW than I was able to do back then. Hmmm... I just got so sidetracked that I lost my focus entirely. I could do it again right now and tell you all about how that is a side effect of my job and how HARD it is for me to pay attention now... but I wont.)

We were pretty happy that we didn't have to schlep the kids all of the way up to Tacoma and we still got to see Brooke. We had a BBQ on Saturday and kids were still grumpy from that. We were sad we hadn't taken any pictures because it was nice to see the kids playing with other boys who had long hair and to hang out with other moms who had tattoo's that showed and were more that a butterfly. We had been hoping to go to another one last night after Brooke left, but at that point Ruby had handled all of the emotions that she could handle and we just had a quiet night at home. She still ended up having a nightmare last night... one that I'm guessing she wont be able to tell us about today. It's so frustrating, not be able to crawl inside of their little heads to figure out what's going on and try to help take care of it. Then again... how weird would that be if OUR moms were in our heads fixing stuff? I for one would tell my mom, "Thanks for the offer, but kindly leave my brain RIGHT NOW!" So, never mind on that thought.

Brooke looked really good. Her hair is shorter and darker than the last time we saw her and she looks pretty happy. You sure wouldn't know about her relapse unless she told you about it. She also brought her sister Teal who is 28, almost 29 and was so good and sweet with the kids. Ephraim adored her and they played with all his slimy bugs and stuff before they found his whoopy cushion and spent almost an hour playing fart games.

Abby is adorable and Brooke is doing such a nice job with her. She really listens to her (as much as any two-year-old does) and she is so softspoken and sweet. She played really well with the kids and sat for a long time in Ruby's dollhouse corner and played with all of the dolly bits. So, I went up to Ruby's room and found a bunch of little bits and the little people house so that she could have her own dolly corner at her house to play in. I think we were all sad to see her go at the end of the night. I found myself acting like my grandma or my sister... packing snacks for their trip back home and making sure she had a blankie.

Brooke says that in October, if she's able to get things taken care of right now, then her case will be closed and she can move down here. She said that it'll be nice to be closer to her mom and her sister, and we told her it would be nice for us to see her more too. I'm not sure we'd be able to just hang out with her all of the time, I think we'd have to see how Ruby could handle that... but it would be nice to just see her more often either way.

She asked me to come up and meet with her caseworker this week, so I told her I would drive up if she called and made an appointment. I'm not sure what she wants. Maybe her worker to see that she has some support that's more than what she has in Tacoma... but that's ok too. She DOES, so they can know that.